Accredited by NEAS, this TECSOL course prepares participants to teach English to children aged 4 to 12 years. It is available to students with an Intermediate English level. It will develop the language skills of the student and introduce teaching methodology and activities for teaching younger learners. Micro teaching and observation are also key aspects of this course. Participants can also gain real teaching experience through optional work experience programmes in accredited pre-schools.
People who want to learn how to teach English to children aged 4 to 12 and improve their own level of English. You may want to have a future career in teaching, to study at a teaching college or a university. You may already be a teacher and want to develop your skills in English language teaching further.
- increased accuracy of your own English skills
- confidence using English to teach children
- practical skills to teach children
- knowledge of how children learn at different ages (4 - 6 yrs, 7 - 9 yrs & 10 - 12 yrs)
- classroom management techniques
- using songs, games, story telling, craft, puppets and rhymes in the younger learners classroom
- teaching speaking, listening, reading and writing lessons to children
- planning a series of lessons.
Certification & Recognition
Certification is issued by IH Sydney – Teacher Training Centre for:
- English for Teaching Younger Learners course
- optional 2 weeks work experience programme.
- language development lessons – speaking, listening, reading, writing, vocabulary, grammar and pronunciation
- workshops on teaching methodology for children
- practice making lesson plans
- demonstrations of classroom management
- presentations and practice using songs, making masks, teaching games and other activities
- “teacher language” lessons
- practice teaching with your colleagues
- observation at state primary schools in conjunction with the NSW Department of Education
- optional work experience as a teacher’s assistant in a local pre-school.
Sample weekly timetable (from 13/05/2013 classes will run from 8:15am to 1:15pm)
Primary Methodology/ Classroom language
10.45am - 12.15pm
12.30pm – 1.30pm
Speaking with support:
|Lesson planning||Listen and colour/draw activities|
|Wednesday||Listen and identify||Characteristics of children as learners||
|Topic based teaching||
Approaches to reading:
|Making classroom materials||
Telling a story:
There is no final examination.
You will be assessed on your:
- overall performance in classroom activities
- teaching practice
- intermediate level of English
- at least 18 years of age.
four weeks full-time
20 hours per week of study
- two weeks optional work experience.
You can begin your studies on any Monday.
Visas for non Australian passport holders include:
- visitors visa
- working holiday visa
- student visa (ELICOS).
All of our trainers are:
- accredited by the University of Cambridge
- post-graduate industry qualified
- experienced teacher trainers with an average of 12 years experience.
Please see our TESOL trainer profiles – the breadth of their experience and qualifications is unique in this fast growing industry.
Apply For This Course
|INTERMEDIATE ENGLISH LEVEL SPEAKERS can apply in one of three ways:|
1) For studentw with an official *English level test score of:
Please present the following to IH Sydney – Teacher Training Centre
2) Without an official English level test score If you are applying in Sydney – please send the following to register for the *in-school English level test:
*In-school English level tests are held every Wednesday at 2:45pm at Level 1, 203 Clarence Street, Sydney.
3) Without an official English level test scoreIf you are applying from outside Sydney – please complete the following:
Students will also be required to complete a short telephone speaking test.
Course Dates & Fees
4 WEEKS FULL-TIME
from 13/05/2013 8:15am to 1:15pm
Plus 2 WEEKS
Tuition fee: $1700
Full payment of course fees are required to secure your position on the course.